Level crossings in Surrey Hills and Mont Albert in Melbourne will be removed as part of the recently re-elected Victorian government’s ongoing level crossing removal program.
The Mont Albert Road level crossing and the Union Road level crossing will be removed, with two new stations also to be constructed as part of the project.
The removals will make the Belgrave/Lilydale line crossing free between Ringwood and the CBD. Four level crossings have already been removed on the line, with works currently underway at Manchester Road, Mooroolbark and Maroondah Highway.
According to the government, preliminary engineering advice indicates that the preferred option for the removal will see the rail line go under the roads.
Approximately 22,000 vehicles travel through the two level crossings each day, a figure projected to grow to over 26,000 by 2026.
The Union Road level crossing was the site of collision in 2016 in which two people died. There have been eight recent near misses.
Victorian premier Daniel Andrews said the removals would make drivers safer, improve road congestion and make train travel more reliable on the Belgrave/Lilydale line.
“No government has ever removed this many level crossings so quickly. We’re reducing congestion, saving lives and creating thousands of jobs along the way – and we’re just getting started,” Andrews said.
“These level crossings are dangerous – we said we would remove them, and we will.”
The two level crossings are among 14 selected by the government for removal prior to the election. Labor announced would add another $6.6 billion and 25 crossings to the Rail Crossing Removal Authority’s charter, extending the project timeline to 2025.
The premier identified 14 of the additional 25 crossings, and said 11 more would be named in “coming weeks”.
The other 12 crossings selected for removal are:
- On the Sunbury line, the crossing of Gap Road in Sunbury.
- On the Mernda line (previously the South Morang line), crossings at Cramer Street, Murray Road and Oakover Road in Preston.
- On the Werribee line, the crossing of Old Geelong Road in Hoppers Crossing.
- On the Frankston line, crossings of Glen Huntly Road and Neerim Road in Glen Huntly, and crossings of Chelsea Road, Argyle Avenue, and Swanpool Avenue in Chelsea.
- On the Upfield line, crossings of Munro Street and Reynard Street in Coburg.