Tuesday 22nd Aug, 2017

Trio of firms listed for Central tunnel

Graphic: Transport for NSW
Graphic: Transport for NSW

Three groups have been shortlisted to deliver the NSW Government’s Central Station revitalisation project, which includes building a new underground concourse linking the station with future Sydney Metro platform.

Transport and infrastructure minister Andrew Constance announced the shortlist earlier this week:

  • Laing O’Rourke Australia Construction Pty Ltd
  • CPB Contractors Pty Ltd and John Holland Pty Ltd joint venture
  • Lendlease Engineering Pty Ltd/Lendlease Building Pty Ltd

The winning bidder will be given the contract to build the Central Walk, and the new Sydney Metro platforms under Central.

The contract is expected to be awarded in the first quarter of next year as part of the Sydney Metro City & Southwest project, which is Stage 2 of Sydney Metro.

“Central is the backbone of our public transport network with more than 250,000 people passing through the station every day,” Constance said. “But that number’s expected to grow to 450,000 in the next two decades, and we need to ensure better transport connections are in place to help people get around.”

The 19-metre wide Central Walk tunnel will open to Chalmers Street.

“This is the first step towards revitalising Central Station,” Constance said. “We want to unleash its potential as a world class gateway, on par with some of the grand stations of the world, and Sydney Metro is the key enabler in making that happen.

“By combining the works of the metro platforms and Central Walk we can deliver both projects at the same time and minimise the disruption to customers.”