Freight Rail, Passenger Rail, Safety, Standards & Regulation
Freight Rail, Passenger Rail
Work is now under way to replace more than 1,800 damaged sleepers and more than 180 metres of damaged rail.
Last week an incident involving a freight and passenger train between Chiltern and Barnawartha in south of Wodonga, Victoria caused all services on the line to be suspended until further notice.
A northbound freight train derailed, and a passenger train travelling south on the adjacent track struck a wagon of the derailed freight train.
A spokesperson from the Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC) provided an update on the investigation following the incident that occurred on Wednesday, January 29.
“The ARTC is continuing to work with rail safety regulators and operators on the recovery effort,” the spokesperson said.
After safety regulators completed their initial assessments the day after the incident, the recovery operation started involving around 60 workers.
“Work so far has focused on recovering wagons, components, and containers from the track and moving the V/Line train and majority of freight containers,” the spokesperson said.
“While repairs are underway, timing for the line to reopen is not yet confirmed.
“With temperatures reaching more than 44 degrees in the recovery site area, hot works are being extremely carefully managed and crews provided additional rest breaks and hydration measures.
“ARTC will provide further updates to media and our customers as soon as they become available.”
A V/Line train collided with a wagon from a derailed freight train on Wednesday evening south of Wodonga in Victoria.
An Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC) spokesperson said ARTC can confirm an incident has occurred on its rail network between Chiltern and Barnawartha at approximately 5.40pm on Wednesday.
The ARTC spokesperson advised that a northbound freight train derailed and a passenger train service travelling south on the adjacent track struck a wagon of the freight train.
The 5.20pm V/Line Albury to Melbourne passenger service was travelling south on the adjacent track when it subsequently struck one of the freight train’s wagons.
The ARTC spokesperson said the train line “currently remains suspended to all services and the site is quarantined for attendance by independent safety regulators and for incident investigations through today,”
“Track opening will be subject to recovery and infrastructure damage assessments following site incident investigations across a roughly 1.7 kilometres long area,”
“A more detailed forecast of reopening will be provided once a full assessment of damage to the track is able to take place.”
ARTC said in a statement that their priority at this stage is to ensure the safety of the persons involved and assisting attending emergency authorities.
A CFA spokesperson said a number of the wagons were alight when emergency services arrived, and the flames sparked a grassfire.
The grassfire was deemed safe at 8.15pm Wednesday evening.
A VicEmergency update stated that the “train incident is still ongoing and is currently being assessed by the relevant agencies.”
There are no reported injuries to passengers or crews of either train service.
The ARTC will provide further updates as they become available.