AusRAIL, Market Sectors

Rail safety trial begins at deadly rail crossing

<p>A six-week trial of major traffic modifications at the site of last year’s Salisbury railway crossing tragedy in Adelaide begins today (Monday, February 17). </p> <p>The $140,000 modifications at the Park Terrace railway crossing &#8211 where four people were killed last year &#8211 include: </p> <p>&#8226 Road widening on both sides of the crossing to provide an escape area</p> <p>&#8226 A new pedestrian crossing</p> <p>&#8226 More queue detectors </p> <p>&#8226 Limited access to North Lane and the car park west of the line and</p> <p>&#8226 closed-circuit television monitoring.</p> <p>Traders have complained to the South Australian premier that access to shops and facilities will be blocked, resulting in a loss of business and jobs.</p> <p>But transport minister Michael Wright told the <em>Adelaide</em> <em>Advertiser </em> that traders need to look at the bigger picture.</p> <p>"This all needs to be put back into perspective &#8211 we need to go back to October 24 and remind people of the tragic accident," Mr Wright said.</p> <p>"It is a six-week trial period about better managing the traffic and it may be that the traders are impaired as a result." </p> <p>Another option would be to close the crossing altogether, he said.</p> <br />