Transport for NSW has revealed plans for a new underground concourse to connect Central Station passengers with the new Sydney Metro platforms, and Light Rail connections.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian and transport minister Andrew Constance on Wednesday announced ‘Central Walk’, a 19-metre-wide tunnel from Chalmers Street, connecting passengers with the new Metro platforms to be built beneath the existing Central station.
“We are going to revitalise Central Station to make it an international showpiece of Sydney’s transport network,” Berejiklian said.
“It’s often the first stop for visitors from overseas, interstate and from regional areas and we want to ensure the Central Station experience is world class and convenient for the quarter of a million people who pass through every day.”
Transport for NSW on Wednesday opened up the Expressions of Interest phase for the project, which it wants to start building by 2018.
“Sydney Metro has provided us with a unique opportunity to deliver further improvements to Central, and Central Walk is just the beginning,” Berejiklian said.
More than 250,000 people use Central every day with that number expected to rise to 450,000 in the next two decades.
Constance said Central Walk will cater for that growth.
“Central is the backbone of public transport and customers tell us they want better and more convenient links. This project will create new entrances and easier interchanges for everyone,” he said.
“We began consultation on revitalising Central last year and this is the first step in its grand redesign.”
Constance said public feedback showed customers wanted more cafes, restaurants, retail options and bigger and brighter spaces which could be considered in future steps to upgrade the station.
A dedicated construction contract will be awarded for the Sydney Metro Central works – separate to the rest of the Sydney Metro City & Southwest Project, he said.