Engineering, Passenger Rail

CIMIC inks major Cross River Rail contract with QLD Govt

Contractor CIMIC has signed a deal with the Queensland Government on a tunnel, stations and development package for the $5.4 billion Cross River Rail project in Brisbane.

CIMIC subsidiaries Pacific Partnerships, CPB Contractors and UGL will all be employed as part of a consortium (the Pulse consortium) on the public-private partnership (PPP). The works are expected to cost around $2.73 billion and will begin construction later in 2019. 

The consortium will perform tunneling works, build new underground stations and provide ongoing maintenance for the major South East Queensland infrastructure project. 

CIMIC Group chief executive officer Michael Wright said that the company’s integrated approach to PPP projects was based on its “end-to-end capabilities across a project’s life cycle”.

CPB will lead design and construction in a joint venture with UGL, Italy-based tunneling company Ghella, building and civil engineering company BAM International and fund management company DIF. 

Pacific Partnerships will provide 49 per cent of the equity for the package as lead sponsor, with Ghella, BAM and UGL to provide the remaining 51 per cent. UGL will also provide maintenance services on the project as a long-term partner for a period of more than 24 years.

“As Australia’s leading provider of mechanical and electrical works and rail maintenance services, we’re committed to working with the Cross River Rail Delivery Authority as a long-term partner and providing ongoing employment and business opportunities for the local community,” said UGL managing director Jason Spears.

CPB and UGL were also chosen by the Queensland Government to deliver the Cross River Rail project’s Rail, Integration and Systems package in April 2019.

Leave a Reply

Send this to a friend