Rail Express will report live from day one of Australasia’s biggest rail event, AusRAIL. Highlights of Tuesday’s schedule will include an address from Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews, and a forum with ten leading executives in the rail supply sector.
Andrews, attending the first AusRAIL since he became Victorian premier in December 2014, will lead off proceedings in the Tuesday plenary sessions, about how he plans to keep Victoria “number one” for transport.
The premier’s address will be followed by a forum focused on the future of rail infrastructure, featuring ARA chairman Bob Herbert and Infrastructure Australia chairman Mark Birrell, among a number of other key infrastructure leader.
After morning tea, Metro Trains Melbourne CEO Andrew Lezala will discuss the role of the private sector in rail.
Related story: Metro boss excited for ‘rail renaissance’
Related story: British Railways career inspired Lezala’s metro method
Lezala’s presentation will be followed by the first of AusRAIL’s two major CEO forums: the Rail Suppliers CEO Forum. The latest in a series of annual AusRAIL suppliers forums, the ten-member panel will include executives from UGL, GE, Bombardier, Downer, Siemens, CAF, Knorr-Bremse, Comsteel, Alstom and Faiveley.
After lunch the AusRAIL 2015 conference will split into its four technical streams: the RTSA Rollingstock Stream, the RTAA Project Delivery, Construction & Delivery Stream, the IRSE Signalling Stream and the Rail Suppliers Stream.
See the detailed Tuesday schedule for the main plenary sessions, which will be held in the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre’s Plenary 2 room, below:
- 7.30 – Registration and morning coffee
- 9.00 – Welcome and opening remarks – Danny Broad, CEO, Australasian Railway Association
- 9.10 – State Premier’s Address – Daniel Andrews, Victorian Premier
- 9.30 – Forum: Establishing an infrastructure pipeline for the future growth of Australian rail
- Bob Herbert, Chairman, Australasian Railway Association
- Mark Birrell, Chairman, Infrastructure Australia
- David Quinn, CEO, Building Queensland
- Jason Peasley, Head of Infrastructure, AustralianSuper
- Anissa Levy, Executive Director, Strategic Planning and Programs – Head of Investor Assurance, Infrastructure NSW
- 10.20 – Morning tea and official exhibition opening
- 11.10 – The role of the private sector in rail – Andrew Lezala, CEO, Metro Trains Melbourne
- 11.30 – Rail Suppliers CEO Forum
- Alan Beacham, Executive General Manager Rail, Defence & International, UGL
- Dwight Van Roy, Executive General Manager – Rail, GE Transportation
- Rene Lalande, CEO, Bombardier Transportation Australia
- Michael Miller, Acting CEO, Downer EDI Rail
- Maximilian Eichhorn, Executive General Manager, Siemens Mobility
- Iñaki Mendizabal, Area Director, CAF
- Michael McLellan, Managing Director, Knorr-Bremse
- Lindsay Reid, General Manager, Comsteel
- Mark Coxon, Managing Director, Australia & New Zealand, Alstom
- Jean-Marie Guerin, Managing Director, Faiveley Transport Australia
- 12.30 – Lunch served within the exhibition
- 2.00 – Technical streams begin