NSW Government reserves transport corridor
The New South Wales Government will secure an additional public transport corridor to connect from the end of the proposed $8.5bn North West Rail Link through Sydney’s booming North West Growth Centre.
According to the state government, securing a corridor now will reduce the cost of providing transport infrastructure in the future and will ensure a “better fit” between essential services such as transport and the design of town centres as well as the location of key community facilities such as schools.
Premier Barry O’Farrell said in addition to “getting on with the job” of building the North West Rail Link (NWRL), the government was “determined” to secure a corridor for its future expansion.
“Setting aside land now means families in the Sydney’s North West will have room for the public transport infrastructure they’ll need in the future,” O’Farrell said.
“More than 200,000 people will move into the North West Growth Centre over the next 25 to 30 years – that’s around 70,000 new houses in the Riverstone, Schofields and Marsden Park areas.
“We need to be ready for this growth, and the NSW Government is getting on with the job of planning a prosperous future for Sydney’s North West.”
A public discussion paper outlines two potential corridors and will be used to consult with the community. The two options are:
• Cudgegong Rd to Riverstone: from the end of the NWRL heading northwest to the Richmond Line south of Riverstone Station, a distance of about 3.3km
• Cudgegong Rd to Schofields and Marsden Park: from the end of the NWRL heading west to Schofields Station then further on to Marsden Park, about 6.8km
Minister for transport Gladys Berejiklian said existing planning polices and powers would be used to protect the corridor for future public transport use.
“It also means should a future government wish to expand public transport, land buyback and disruption would be kept to a minimum,” Berejiklian said.
“This protection means any development within or near the corridor will not be allowed to impact the viability of the corridor’s future use for public transport.
“No land will be acquired at this stage. The land will be zoned for public infrastructure purposes and only acquired when a specific project has been approved in the future.”
Parliamentary secretary for Western Sydney and member for Hawkesbury Ray Williams said identifying and reserving transport corridors before they are needed made good planning and transport sense.
“The Westlink M7 is a great example of this - the corridor was first set aside in the middle of the 20th century as successive governments planned around it for the future growth of Sydney’s west,” Williams said.
“When the time came to cater for that growth and to build the M7, the community knew the corridor had been set aside to meet their transport needs.”
The corridor options will be on public exhibition until May 18 and a public forum will be held at Rouse Hill Town Centre on March 31.
Submissions can be made online and the corridor study is also available online at www.northwestoptions.com.au
Weekly Top Stories
- ARTC adds another to its Hunter business
- Abbott, Xi witness Pilbara railway MoU signing
- Shellharbour Junction Station opens
- ARA welcomes bipartisan support on level crossing safety
- Baird backs second rail crossing for Sydney Harbour
- Hockridge welcomes Queensland’s commitment to Galilee
- Suppliers and manufacturers winners in China-Australia free trade deal